Run, Donna Run!
We’re in Newcastle!
A little bit of history…
Newcastle is a city that developed from the area that was the location of the Roman settlement called Pons Aelius, though it owes its name to the castle built in 1080, by Robert II, Duke of Normandy, the eldest son of William the Conqueror. Newcastle became know initially for its wool trade and later became a major coal mining area.
Today Newcastle is a popular city for business and has numerous cultural highlights, with a particular reputation for diverse nightlife. Mascarathon is not the first charity run to hit Newcastle, as the city plays host to the Great North Run each year.
Where and when…
TV personality, Donna Air will be running the 2 miles of the Benefit and Refuge Mascarathon starting at Northumberland Street on Sunday 17th June at 4pm, and we’d love you to come and cheer her on as we pass through our second city of the Mascarathon! Bring your change from behind the sofa and your friends, we need your support and your contributions will go towards making sure victims of domestic abuse get the help and support they need to move forward with their lives.
Top 5 things to see and do in Newcastle…
5. Tyneside Cinema. Take in a movie at the UK’s largest remaining independent cinema, the grand building was built in 1937 and today screens new and classic films as well as daily showings of archive newsreels.
4. Eldon Square shopping centre. New to the city if 2010, this shopping complex has everything you need and more for a very good day’s spending spree!
3. Centre for Life. A working science institute this exhibition centre also is open to the public with educational exhibitions mainly focused on the origins and evolution of human life.
2. Picnic in Exhibition Park. Take a picnic to this park on a sunny day and enjoy Newcastle’s largest open space, with croquet lawns, a boating lake, crazy golf and skatepark. Fairs and Festivals are held here regularly.
1. Propaganda at O2 Academy. In a city famous for its nightlife this regular Saturday night event is classic indie disco dancing and cocktails at its best.
Where to find your local Benefit Beauty Bar…
To get involved with raising money for Refuge at your local Benefit Beauty Bar, find us in-
Fenwicks Eldon Square
Boots Eldon Square
Debenhams Eldon Square
John Lewis Eldon Square
House of Fraser Metro centre
Next Stop – Manchester!