Whether we were singing at the top of our lungs into a hairbrush along to viva forever, spending hours covering our bedroom walls in their posters or crushing over Geri’s perfectly coordinated outfit, we can’t deny that the Spice Girls were every benebabes teenage hero (if you say they weren’t you are totes lying!) Now, as their 20th anniversary dawns upon us, it is only necessary for us to reminisce on all they taught us, how they inspired us and most importantly how they showed us to embrace our inner D I V A! But despite the incorrect statement made in 1996 that ‘if you wannabe my lover you gotta get with my friends’ these gorgeous girls did teach us a heck of a lot…
1) It’s okay to be different. Whether we’re sporty or posh, we are FABULOUS and no one can take that away from us.
2) ‘Make it last forever, friendship never ends!’ As you know benebabes ‘men may come and go but lipstick and the girls last forever!’
3) Clothes say a lot. Dress to impress gorgeous! The skirt on your hips and the shades on your head speak volumes about who you are.
4) GIRL POWER. There is nothing sexier than confidence chick! Be who you are and own it!
5) ‘Everything is free, all you need is positivity!’ Positive thoughts only please, do not kill my vibe! Positivity is the key to success, gorgeous!
6) ‘Slow it down baby, have some fun!’ Work hard, play hard benebabes! Make time for you and enjoy life!
7) Buffalo shoes are cool. Raise those hands if you spent every birthday begging your parents for a pair of buffalos! (guilty) We all secretly knew how awful they looked, but if they’re good enough for Vicky B then they’re deffo good enough for us!
8) ‘Set your spirit free, it’s the only way to be’. We all got far too involved in teenage crushes… move on gorgeous, there are plenty more fish in the sea!
9) ‘You have got to reach on up, never lose your soul’ NEVER lose yourself gorgeous! Don’t change for anyone, and NEVER let anybody tell you crimped hair isn’t cool.
We can’t deny that these gals really were the best role models, not one girl group didn’t spend hours arguing over who was going to be which spice (which of course changed every single Monday morning at school!)
So Spice Girls if you’re reading this, THANK YOU. We will forever and always be embracing our inner spice!
Really really really wanna ziggazig ah! (sorry, couldn’t resist!)
Love and Lipstick!
The Digital Darlings xx